Wednesday 30 November 2011

MY MATCHBOX

This is my space.12 feet by 10 feet.This is the only place where you can find the real me.The only place I do not have to pretend to fit in.
Away from here my whole life is an act.Not ready to offend anyone unnecessarily I live a lie beyond these four walls.As I seat on my two seater with my legs placed on a black stool that serves as a table I can see everything in my matchbox.
Infront of me is a high table that has a shelf on it.On the shelf are about 20kgs of old newspapers that I hope to sell someday.You cannot see the newspapers because they are covered by a flowery tablecloth on which rests my old model Sonnimax digital tv(at least it is written digital).Beside the television set on its right is a DVD player(I believe it is an original LG from Korea,but who cares,it is functional)
On the floor to the right of the player is my AMPEX 2.1 subwoofer(it serves me well)
For now none of the electronics is on,they are off as I savour this moment of solitude.
On one corner just to the right of the subwoofer is the box in which the tv came.Inside,the box contains other smaller boxes in which other things were bought in.Also inside are plastic boxes and some costumes.On top of the box is a travel bag that contains clean clothes,besides the bag is part of my collection of books and scripts of all sorts,then there is a one seater before you get to where I am sitting now.
To my right my supper is cooking slowly on a 'meko' cooker placed on a smaller table.All my utensils are in a basin placed on a stool beside the table.These and two black fifty litre tanks,one green bucket and two black twenty litre jerricans make up my kitchen on a corner.
On the remaining corner is my 4 by 6 bed with one blanket,one bedsheet and two pillows.On the ceiling directly above the bed is a mosquito net that is rarely used.
On the walls surrounding the bed are jackets,courts and jackets hanging on hangers on nails nailed on a piece of wood on the wall.High up is a makeshift shelf that looks as if it can fall anytime from the weight of boxes and bags placed on it.
Under the bed are two basins full of water,another cracked basin that serves to hold dirty clothes,one basin that I use to bathe and a smaller one that I use for cleaning shoes(most of you use this kind in the kitchen so you cannot blame my neighbours for thinking I also use it when washing utensils)
On the floor is a plastic 'carpet' as I have not replaced the one real carpet I gave away.The ceiling is made of plywood painted white and is complete with a naked bulb.
It is the humblest of abode but the only place I am at peace with myself and with the world.I CAN cry,laugh,grin,make faces,anything and nobody will ever know unless you are the special one.
The special one is still elusive so here I am in my stone,four walled matchbox.
WELCOME TO MY HAVEN.

No comments:

Post a Comment